Wednesday, September 19, 2018

An honest talk




I had a heart to heart talk with my students today.  I let them know what I have been seeing in class that has been frustrating me and standing in the way of even more growth than we have already seen.  I took clear ownership of my parts and let the students talk about what they see themselves doing to stand in the way of making each class meeting truly count.

The conversation was honest, authentic, vulnerable, and real.  I never talk down to my students, and this was no exception.  We had true conversation as we partnered to reflect on the academic behaviors of the past week.  We kept it positive and complimented each other on what was working really well.

This 15-20 minute conversation was the catalyst to an amazing class.  It also strengthened the bonds of the community in each class.  You can tell we are now closer and trust each other.  This is the perfect environment, now, for honest reflection leading to amazing work and partnership in growth.

This was an authentic SEL lesson for all involved.  It was not pushed, nor was it fake.  It was real and in the moment.

We all need to know that we are valued and are still loved, even when we fail.  We all need "real" in our lives to build the trust that will allow us to speak freely of what we need.  Once this culture is created, it opens the doors and the windows for continued work.

I am so proud of my students.

I am proud of me.

I am proud that I can be in a place where this type of magic can occur.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


1 comment:

  1. I’m so happy that you are building REAL relationships in the classroom and that you are a partner in the learning! Yes!

    ReplyDelete