Monday, April 16, 2018

A mess of a Day




Today was a mess.  I am not sure where to start because there are so many elements to the mess...

We found out last minute that grades are due today-

I had many kids absent the day after break-

Staff members are sick or injured-

The kids came back stressed-

Many of my kids are worried sick about war with Russia-

My kids left my classroom a complete mess-

My breathing is terrible due to the weather-

And...

My toilet is flushing itself.

It is so easy to get caught up in the whirlwind of a messy day like today.  It is easy to get stressed or even to celebrate the problems with complaints and moaning insights.  Instead, I gave myself a gift today...

I smiled. 

I told the kids that I missed them.  I asked them to work for me today.  I told them the sucky weather will make them enjoy the nice weather in the coming weeks even more, and appreciate it when it comes.

I breathed.

I took a step back and enjoyed the sounds of kids laughing.  I shut my eyes when it was quiet and smiled inside.  I took a deep breath and assured myself that it was a good day.

Was it?  Of course not!  But I made it as good as I could have.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


1 comment:

  1. Oh, the power of choosing to smile in the face of a mess!

    ReplyDelete